Christ Episcopal Church
4 Weller’s Bridge Road
P.O. Box 4
Roxbury, Connecticut 06783
Church Website www.christchurchroxbury.net
Church Office (860) 355-3695
The formal organization of an Episcopal Society in Roxbury took place in 1740 under the leadership of the Rev. John Beach and is the oldest parish organized in Litchfield County. The first church building was erected in Roxbury shortly after 1740 at the Old Center, a mile south of the present village. This building was used until the present church was built in 1807. It is probable the old church was the first Episcopal Church to be built in Litchfield County.
Christ Church property consists of the church, the rectory, and the parish house on roughly three, beautifully landscaped acres, including the Columbarium and Memory Garden. The church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. John Henry Hobart, the 3rd Bishop of the Diocese of New York in 1817. In 1861 it was turned to its present position facing south and renovated. The chancel was added and the handsome stain glass windows date from this period. In the late 1980’s the church was renovated and rededicated by Bishop Jeffrey Rowthorn. July 8, 1990, marked the 250th Anniversary of Christ Church Parish.
The rectory was a tavern built about 1740 with an addition made around 1845. The parish house is the old Center School, built around 1835, and purchased by the church in 1942. The right wing was added in 1958. It has been named in honor of the Diebold family who made a generous donation for its restoration during the 250th Anniversary celebration. The bell tower in the front of the church contains the choir loft, and a new organ, which is a combination of both pipe and electronic features. It was purchased a few years ago with the help of generous donations from parishioners, and the pipes came from the old instrument. The acoustics of the church are very good, and through the years the church has been well known for its musical programs and concerts. Christ Church is noted for its outreach to charitable organizations, not only in Roxbury but in the surrounding area.
The Roxbury Relief Fund is a local charity founded by Christ Church and which is also sponsored by the Roxbury Congregational Church. The food banks in New Milford and Danbury, as well as many other organizations have also been recipients of this outreach. In addition, the Christ Church Parish Hall currently houses the Roxbury Food Pantry. Maintaining the food pantry is a ministry of our parish. We also host a weekly AA meeting.